Friday August 9, 2013 – Sunday August 11, 2013
Plas IsaMap and Directions | Register
Organiser – Gary Box
Where – Plas Isa, Lion St, Dolgellau, Gwynedd LL40 1DN
When – 9th-11th August 2013 (Fri-Sun)
Cost – £61.50 (includes 2 nights accommodation and guided walks)
Lots of you have asked for another trip to Snowdonia. Since we visited the north of the National Park earlier this year this time we will visit the south. The south of the park has a great range of activities on offer which you will have the chance to take part in on this weekend.
On Saturday the group will tackle one of the most popular peaks in the whole of Snowdonia, Cadair Idris. The 16km (10 mile) route goes up the Fox’s Path passing Llyn Gafr and Llyn y Cadair before reaching Cadair Idris at 893 metres above sea level. From here we will head east to the summit of Mynydd Moel (863m) before returning back to Cadair Idris where we could take lunch in the hut at the summit. After lunch we head south on the Mynffordd Path to the summit of Craig Cwm Amarch (791m) before returning one last time to Cadair Idris and our route back on The Pony Path which heads west. We will reach one final peak, Cyfrwy (811m) before arriving at the car park. Total ascent for this day will be 1294 metres (4247 feet). Drive from the accommodation is less than 15 minutes.
On Saturday evening we will eat out at one of the many local pubs or restaurants. Dolgellau is a great base for facilities. There is a Co-operative supermarket open until 11:00pm.
On Sunday there will be a choice of options.
- For those who would like to try whitewater rafting we have booked 7 spaces in a raft at 9:00am. You will need to be there at 8:30am and it’s a 35 minute drive from the accommodation.
- Anyone who enjoys mountain biking can visit Coed y Brenin Forest which is just a 15 minute drive away. Bikes can be hired and there are many great routes in the forest suitable to various abilities. Route names include Yr Afon, Dragons Back, Beast of Brenin and MinorTaur.
- Also in Coed y Brenin forest is Go Ape, a fun high level tree top adventure. If anyone would like to do this option you will need to let me know when booking so I can make a booking.
- Anyone wanting to walk Sunday we will do the Gain Waterfall Trail which also starts in Coed y Brenin. It’s 7km and should take about 2 hours. At the meeting of two rivers there are a couple of lovely waterfalls.
What to bring
- Hiking Boots and clothes
- Towel and toiletries
- Food for breakfast and packed lunch